Tuesday 3 March 2015

There's a Storm in my Brain

.... Brainstorming

I've been trying to come up with ideas of what to do for my final project.  The brief says "Produce a series of 6 to 8 digital photographs that investigate ideas of representation and identity of a cultural, social or political place (i.e an individual, a community, a location etc.)

So

Here is my idea...
I want to look at redefining stereotypes. The idea is still only in the development stage, i have a few different possibilities of what I could do.  I thought about taking activities out of context, e.g. have the rugby team in the library, have a dancer in a science lab, have someone out at a desk, have someone meditating in the middle of a restaurant etc etc.
One artist relating to this is Dane Shitagi, who has an ongoing series called "The Ballerina Project", she takes the dancers out of their usual spaces and context.
This photo is my favourite, you can really see her feet working to keep her up and on her toes.






I do like the rest of the pictures, but they are very posed, theres very little spontaneity about these pictures.  Something that I would have done rather than pose them in specific ways would have been to make them dance around the objects so that they relaxed into the motion.


I also thought about maybe looking at a specific team and taking it apart.  Showing that within the one entity of a sports team, they all have individual quirks.

No comments:

Post a Comment